Interspersed in this post will be photos from December! Because I didn't get around to sharing!
Today I was directed to Hip Mountain Mama's blog where she's hosting a challenge - One Small Change. I don't know how I missed it before!
~ morning Sun through ice covered trees ~
It is easy to downplay the choices that we make each day and convince ourselves that one small act will not make a big impact on the Earth. While true, the collective impact of a globe full of individuals can and does have dramatic effect. Our family, compared to the average middle class family in the United States, is quite environmentally friendly. We compost, recycle, breastfeed, cloth diaper (or did!), reduce waste, buy local - however, we have so much room for improvement!
~ Daddy-made wooden kitchen ~
The challenge is to make one change each month until Earth Day on April 22nd. My family had already decided to do this as a family "resolution" and ours will be each month of the year.
~ busy hands ~
For January, we decided to further reduce our energy consumption. Here's the plan of action to this point:
1. Reduce daytime heat from 67 to 65. Wear an extra layer and socks in the house. Hopefully we can bump the heat down another degree as we acclimate. I would like to see if we can do 63 in the house over time.
2. Reduce nighttime heat from 68 to 67. This is a tougher one since my children are chilled easily at night, even in layers, since they kick off blankets. We have already added another blanket to the beds. I would like to get our heat down to 65 at night.
3. Be vigilant about turning off lights, opening/closing drapes, closing doors, etc. This is something the children can really be involved with. We are already very good about this, but I think the girls will enjoy "owning" this one. :)
4. Carpool to Waldorf co-op with Daddy. Limit driving during the week to grocery shopping on Sunday and one outing during the rest of the week.
5. Keep computer turned off during the day. (This will have multiple benefits!)
6. Reduce our laundry load so the washer runs less.
7. Wash large items by hand so the dishwasher doesn't fill up as quickly. Our old dishwasher uses a lot of energy and water, I'm sure! (Many thanks to my friend Cookie for the inspiration to do this one!)
~ on our drive to VA, we had to stop and play in the snow ~
There are plenty more! I am planning on updating weekly with how our changes are progressing.
~ marking the December New Moon with a fire ~
Thanks for hosting this, Hip Mountain Mama!
Peace,
Carrie

7 comments:
Thanks for joining the challenge Carrie! I love your first change! We have lowered our thermostat also and we are just used to the fact that we will need to wear slippers and sweaters around the house! good luck!
Suzy
Sounds great Carrie! You can do it! We keep our therm. at 65 during the day/night, I always make sure the kiddos have on socks and bedroom shoes. LOVE the Daddy-made kitchen!! <3
The wooden kitchen is so cute!! I love that the little pig and duck have a home there! :)
You will get accustomed to 65 soon. We keep our house at that temp & it took a couple of months but we are okay with it now.
Good luck with your changes!!
I have just found your blog and I love your title as well as this post. I will have to check out the challenge at Hip Mountain Mama. I am A Mountain Mama. We where layers and keep the cabin relatively cool, but could probably do more. It is hard to tell with our heat... it is gas and not blown by a furnace. I love this challenge, and I have to say that I love the Daddy made kitchen! There are just so many things my husband and I would love to do... amazing that one could ever say they are bored. :)
Hi, just wanted to add my admiration for the Papa made kitchen, it is so lovely, and clearly going to be a much loved favourite. Good luck with your challenges, I'll be interested to see how you get on, as I'm trying to do pretty similar things myself.
Thank you for sharing this inspiration! The kitchen is incredible, so very sweet to see your littles enjoying it : ) certainly an heirloom made with love!
A couple of weeks ago we did a bunch of these things. The house gets turned to 58 when we are out, 64 at nights and 62 during the days. We have throw blankets on the couch and chairs and layer our clothes. If you don't already have some, Sierra Designs makes awesome down filled booties for men women and kids. We all have a pair. They keep the feet extra cozy. I find if my feet are warm, I can handle almost any temperature!!
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting.....I appreciate everyone who comes by here, whether you leave a comment or not.
If you do write a note or ask a question, I'll respond here. Thanks!
~carrie~