One minute you're in a lush woodland.....
....and the next you're stepping into another world!
~ liv ~
Today we spent the morning and afternoon
at our favorite nature preserve
out on the Piedmont prairie!
~ liv ~
Once common through the Piedmont of the East Coast
prairies are are now rare habitats.
There are many species of plants and animals
that are only found in prairie habitat.
This prairie has two critically endangered flowers,
Georgia aster and Schweinitz's sunflower.
~ lela in sneezeweed - *not* endangered ~
Prairies offer "edge habitats"
where open land meets forested land
These are zones of high biodiversity.
~ while unattractive, easements do provide edge habitat ~
If you're interested in learning more
about this Piedmont Prairie
(and where my husband works)
please check out this link!
~ lela ~
We walked a long time through the prairie
before stopping in some of that edge habitat
for a snack and a rest
~ lazy little lotus ~
Laurel and Mike watch as Lela climbs a tree....
~ the blue eyed ones ~
... and I caught this funny picture.
Then back out onto the prairie.
Liv enjoyed running her fingers through this soft grass.
She said that it looks just the place for faeries.
We made our way to a tiny pond
and broke out our fly-rod
and tied on a barbless grasshopper fly
in hopes of snagging a bream.
By now, the girls know the rules.
~ photo credit: mike ~
"Don't forget to give a fish kiss!"
and
"Quickly put her back in the water!"
and
"Bream have nasty spines, be careful!"
and
"Quickly put her back in the water!"
and
"Bream have nasty spines, be careful!"
~ photo credit: mike ~
~ laurel catching a fish ~
While Mike and I took turns fishing*
the girls entertained themselves
by doing a little pond sampling.
~ success! ~
More play and exploration in the prairie grasses.
I have mentioned before how I feel
that this is a very valuable play-space for children.
~ liv ~
~ fledgling mockingbird ~
~ daisy, daisy ~
~ lela back in the sneezeweed ~
~ pretty little invasive exotic ~
~ old general store ~
~ wait, how did this one get in there? :) ~
Time to head back home,
piggy-back rides for all three year olds!
Until next time,
Piedmont Prairie!
carrie





6 comments:
Neat post....looks like a lot of fun!
Carrie! I want to go there! We've never been to any of the nature preserves, but we're definitely going to try some out after reading all of your posts on them! This one is gorgeous!!
And I love Liv's (I think that's her on Mike's shoulders) little booty! So cute!!
it looks so gorgeous. I've always wanted to play in a field like that! With the grasses, then the woods then the ponds, what great choice of different places to play - and isn't it clear from their faces how much the girls loved it. Lovely photo of you and your hubbie too.
aww carrie your pictures are beautiful, you could be a photographer! love it
The pictures are amazing, the prairie soul soothing and the General Store! I LOVE pictures of old buildings. They're sad and deeply beautiful to me. They seem to be some sleeping giant waiting...
Honey
@Mondorfment
I had a lovely visit on your blog.
Namaste!
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting.....I appreciate everyone who comes by here, whether you leave a comment or not.
If you do write a note or ask a question, I'll respond here. Thanks!
~carrie~