Monday, July 13, 2009

Musings on Stars

I'm feeling introspective tonight - and Mike suggested that I share my thoughts here rather than with him and his skateboarding magazine. A wise man.

It is an inward-turning time. The Moon is waning. And although the days decidedly Summery around here, they are growing shorter as we wobble and spin toward Winter.


Stars in the dome of the Earth as I'm walking this evening. Stars are deep metaphors as well - tonight they represented bright flashes of insight.

Humans must have always marveled at the Stars. I still do, though it is through a haze of smog and the glare of light pollution. Street lights and the airplane headlights creating unpleasant, hard linear strokes. I grumble inwardly at how only the brightest can shine through anymore.


However, there is a Star, a bright spot, in that event. I suddenly see people on those airplanes - mothers, fathers, children, friends, lovers - speeding to and from their loved ones. I feel thankful for the airplanes that connect people in faraway places. Connection births understanding, and understanding births peace.


Liv captured a Star in this picture. Seeing it at the end of a long day brought a rush of insight. My tiny little daughter, who looks up to door handles. How her world is so different! Certainly an in-sight.






The Stars shining down on my world. Three little girls sleep while banjos and mandolins serenade us. The willingly and peacefully laid down on that blanket for us, trusting that we would watch over them. In that Star moment, I closed my eyes and thanked them.