Sunday, August 15, 2010

~ handmade playstands ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Playstands create a simple, open-ended space
for children to play at just about anything.
They can be a restaurant, a cave, beds for dollies, puppet theater, 
anything the child can dream.

They are frequently seen in Waldorf homes and kindergarten.
Because they are beautiful and encourage imaginative play,
we have been wanting some for our home for a while.

In the end, we decided to build them ourselves.
So this weekend, my lovely and ever-so-talented sweetie
built the girls a set of gorgeous playstands.





It was a family affair for sure.
The girls had a great time on a big project with Daddy.

Although the pictures only really show him working, 
there were plenty of opportunities for the girls to help.
I put the camera down to facilitate sanding, gluing and everything in between.





















I couldn't be more pleased with how these turned out!
I'm excited about all the adventures and imaginative play
that will transpire in this sweet little space.

I'm always so grateful for not only a handy husband,
but a willing partner.

What do you think?

~carrie~

13 comments:

Alexas said...

ah! beautiful!! I'm now seriously coveting playstands!!! Good job!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my...they are so beautiful! Love it...and love your role in giving them space :).

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful! B wants to pick M's brain for this - we want to give the little some for Solstice.

Maria said...

Your playstands are beautiful! From where did you get the plans?

Honey said...

I love when the kids are encouraged to get involved in the building. Lovely pics! And, I'm your newest follower.

Honey
@Mondorfment

Blogger said...

This is pure awesomeness!

mcthom said...

Beautiful! Where did y'all find the plans?

Epic Childhood said...

awesome photos!! We just got our waldorf playstand. My twins are 3. I plan to add photos to my blog later today!

Vallimasoos said...

Gorgeous!!

beachrose said...

Wow beautiful what plans did you use?

Anonymous said...

Where did you find your plans? I am a preschool teacher and would love to have a playstand in my classroom.

Carrie said...

We didn't use plans for the stands. He looked at pictures and greased dimensions and construction. M maybe you can approximate the construction as well by making a simple study bookshelf, and adding arches, though I find now my children prefer to use the stands without arches. sorry I cannot be of more help.

Carrie said...

oh goodness, 'greased' should be 'approximated!'

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting.....I appreciate everyone who comes by here, whether you leave a comment or not.

If you do write a note or ask a question, I'll respond here. Thanks!

~carrie~