Wednesday, August 04, 2010

~ rag curls ~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ever since reading the "Going to Town" 
my girls have been curious about rag curls.


~ lela 'flashing' her rag curls ~

So last night, after a shower,
we cut an old pillowcase into 1" strips about 6" long.

Taking their wet, combed hair in good sized chunks to minimize tangling,
I rolled the end of the chunk over the strip, tucking the ends carefully,
continuing as far to the scalp as possible.
Then I tied a single half-hitch knot to gently secure the strip.

By rolling the hair over the strip, instead of under,
the knot was on top and easier to tie with wiggly children.
And particularly small or short locks of hair, I twisted the hair first before rolling.


~ liv ~

Each girl had about ten curls in two layers.
They said they were quite comfortable to sleep in!

In the morning, Lela was the first to awake 
and said "get these rags out of my hair!"


I was surprised at how tiny each little curl was!
Lela was not happy with her hair initially because it looked so different
and felt so different when she tried to twirl her hair.


But because of the high humidity here,
and their unfortunate genetics inherited from me
that dictate their hair to be perfectly straight at all times
despite all manner of curling and hair products,
the tight curls relaxed into pretty waves.


~ lela's hair within 2 hours ~

Lela was much happier with her hair like this
and even agreed to let me do rag curls again
after she realized what would happen with a little time.


~ laurel ~

Laurel is always a willing model when it comes to the camera
and she is definitely an excellent subject!
This is one photogenic little girl.  


~ summer freckles ~


We enjoyed breakfast outside this morning,
planning out our faery garden

(My girls don't know about the competition, 
and I decided to participate because I need the motivation!)


And of course, another peek at our girl.  
Her introduction post is slow in coming 
because she's difficult to photograph!


~ love how liv licks her lips when feeding the dog ~

We'll be sharing our progress on the faery garden soon!

In curly cuteness,
~carrie~

1 comment:

Tanya said...

LOVE IT! Lela's hair looked like Kenna's :-) They look so beautiful and grown up!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting.....I appreciate everyone who comes by here, whether you leave a comment or not.

If you do write a note or ask a question, I'll respond here. Thanks!

~carrie~