Thursday, August 05, 2010

~ creative woman ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been feeling pretty darn un-creative lately.
Which has been met with 
"what are you talking about, of course you are creative!"

But that's not what I mean.
I haven't been nurturing that creative spirit inside,
have been selling myself way, way short.

So on Friday, during Creek Day with the Waldorf co-op,
I brought some embroidery hoops, floss, needles and an old bedsheet.  
Some of the less muddy kids did a little stitching, 
and I had fun helping them.

And after everyone had left, 
I sat in the parking lot while the kids played a little more
and did a little freehand stitching on a tiny hoop.
For me, the repetition is intoxicating,
like music for my fingers.



I don't have a clue how to embroider
beyond a backstitch, as you can so plainly see.
But I made a few bird tracks with some purple floss, 
and that felt good.
Then I wondered who had made those tracks.
And that wonder felt really, really good.




Liv wandered by and noticed the beginnings of a tiny bird.
"May this be mine, Momma?"
Of course, baby girl.


It's not the prettiest thing in the world.
But at the end of that day,
it felt like a masterpiece.  

I don't have to reclaim my creativity 
in broad, sweeping brush strokes,
or long piano solos,
or even hand-knit wool sweaters.

Just one stitch at a time,
up and down, up and down,
is good and worthy progress.

~carrie~

p.s. Thank you to my dear, dear friend Michael for inspiration,
and plain old "calling me out".  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great!

FroggyMama said...

It's better than the prettiest thing in the world - it's perfect! Because you made it yourself, with all the love you have for your little girl.

Tan Family said...

Beautiful embroidery! This is adorable. How wonderful that you have a Waldorf co-op where you live. Love your blog!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting.....I appreciate everyone who comes by here, whether you leave a comment or not.

If you do write a note or ask a question, I'll respond here. Thanks!

~carrie~