Monday, February 08, 2010

healing buttons


A moment when two of three sisters wanted to play together, at the exclusion of the third, doesn't happen terribly often around here. I'm grateful for that. When it does, and a heart is broken and devastated, special time with Momma is not only appreciated, but necessary


While her sisters played together under the bathroom sink, Laurel toddled (this three year old is still a tiny 25-pound toddler) behind me up the stairs, with the promise of a special and fun activity.

So I pulled down the Mason jars of buttons, all from the drawers of my great-grandmother's 1916 Singer.  They are dusty and in need of a thorough cleaning.  But we will save that for another day.


While she threaded, I sorted and inspected.

Some are quite old and used.
  
Some were downright used up!





This large metal one is my favorite.




Some were made of shell.




Some were painted.






Threading with a thin, metal tapestry needle offers satisfaction without pokes.




Of course it ended up becoming a family affair.  And quite a lovely one at that!


The musty buttons had healed the broken heart of a 3-year old.  Each button, fondled in their tiny, soft hands, offered the potential of rhythmic and soothing threading. 

A beautiful finished product was the byproduct of the healing.




At the end of it all, I once again had three daughters, three sisters, who were together again.

The buttons that have passed through five generations - they are still appreciated and necessary.

I hope you are finding healing and rhythm and joy in the simple activities of your home.

Peace,
Carrie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post with some really lovely photos I might add!
I'm sorry that little L was feeling excluded, you salvaged the situation with grace and ingenuity. Bravo mama!

julie said...

lovely buttons - although to my mind, it was the attentive, present, loving and thoughtful mama who provided the healing, the buttons were but a means to the end - credit where it is due. So glad to hear alls well that ended well too.

Carrie said...

Kate and Julie, thank you for the kind words - I truly appreciate them. It was really an empowering experience for me as well.

Peace,
Carrie

Unknown said...

Love. Love it all. Buttons always make Lula better, too. Me, too, as a matter of fact.

granandpop said...

Carrie,I am so very proud of the
Mother you are to my three very sweet
beautiful grandaughters!
I love that you are using and enjoying my grandmothers buttons.I
wish you could have known her, and
wish I knew her longer, she was a lot
like Granna. So that tells you something......thank you for caring about your history. I love you,
Mama

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting.....I appreciate everyone who comes by here, whether you leave a comment or not.

If you do write a note or ask a question, I'll respond here. Thanks!

~carrie~