Friday, August 14, 2009

two new knitters in our neighborhood

The second comes first - I taught a little girl, one of our neighborhood friends, to knit tonight. She is 7, and has been wanting to knit for some time now. Finally we were able to get together.

When she saw the needles sticking out of my basket, she just beamed! We finger knitted outside for a minute before going inside where there weren't 5 other children running around. (Between our two families we have 7 girls!) We cast on only 5 stitches, and then she began to knit.

She was concentrating so hard that she couldn't possibly say the rhyme along with me:

In through the front door,
Run around back,
Peep through the window
and off jumps Jack!

But once she had gone through 2 rows, she was into her own rhythm and finding her own way. Even though I cross my needles, she found that holding her parallel, a la my friend Apple, worked better for her. After 3 rows, she was saying the rhyme herself and I was barely making any comments (other than positive reinforcement). Her 4yo sister came over and picked up finger knitting quickly as well.

After about 6 rows, she was up to 12 stitches on the needles. Haha - she inadvertendly learned yarn-overs!

My favorite part was how proud she was of herself and kept showing her parents. She did such a great job!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, Lela is now knitting. As in really knitting with needles. She will only do a handful of stitches at a time before putting down the work, but she is doing it beautifully and without aid.

She begged me to show her, and I did, thinking she would not be interested. Really, I don't want her knitting right now. I don't discourage her from knitting - her needles and ball of yarn are accessible to her - I also don't encourage it either.

Don't get me wrong, I give her the quiet praise that she deserves. I am very proud and continuously amazed at her skills. It's just that the finger knitting is fine for her, and I honestly worry that the needles are too mind-oriented for her at this point.

However, children are very wise creatures. And I strongly suspect that if she is not ready for this new skill, she will give it up. Sure, she will come back to it eventually, but I guess I have to have faith that in these matters, she knows best.