R. Thorpe Jones
December 1917 - July 2010
Grandaddy and GP
One of those people who knew everyone,
and was loved by everyone.
He always had a kind and encouraging word.
Truly a one-in-a-million soul.
~ liv and laurel with their gp ~
I spent several weeks each summer for many years
at their home in Greensboro.
The visit were always rich and full.
Museums, tennis lesson, swimming.
~ laurel always had a love for her gp ~
My first trip to the Farmers' Market around age 8.
I remember how everyone knew Grandaddy.
And he knew who had the best ham biscuits.
Watching him eat cantaloupe with so much pepper
that tears streamed down his face
and he liked it that way.
~ gp and liv ~
"Do we need to go the store?"
There was always plenty of good bread,
which he considered a utensil.
He was a WWII veteran
and made strong Navy coffee.
He took pies and rolls to friends
when they lost a loved one.
Kept a bottle of Listerine in the car.
~ laurel and gp ~
Summers at Wrightsville Beach, NC
and the adults ate shrimp lamaze
until they nearly popped.
The grandkids had cocktail sauce.
Now that I'm an adult,
I enjoy shrimp lamaze too.
And the cocktail sauce stays in the fridge.
~ my favorite picture of lela and gp ~
Bookcases full of books.
Cabinets full of jazz on vinyl.
One minute phone conversations.
Hour long stories in person.
A grandfather who wrote letters.
A man who cared enough to remember everyone's story.
You will be missed greatly
and are loved much.
I'm grateful for having known you
from birth through adulthood
and that my children have known
and will remember your love.

3 comments:
A very beautiful tribute, and precious photos!
I am so sorry to hear of this great loss in your life, may comfort and peace greet you during these days xo
Awww, Carrie that made me cry.
The pain of your loss is so palpable. I'm so sorry.
Clearly he was an amazing man, what a blessing to have a grandpa like that, such beautiful memories...peace to you and a giant hug!
xo
Beautiful, so beautiful. Hugs to you!
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting.....I appreciate everyone who comes by here, whether you leave a comment or not.
If you do write a note or ask a question, I'll respond here. Thanks!
~carrie~