~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
***Thank you to my sister, Rebecca T. Jones, for photographing the dolls!***
For my cousin's first birthday,
I decided that she simply must have her very own Waldorf-style baby.
And when Lela caught wind of my plans,
she wanted to make one of her very own to give as well.
~ copyright Rebecca T. Jones ~
Lela's doll is mostly handsewn by her.
She sewed two squares of linen, wrong-sides together,
then turned and stuffed with poly-fil.
(The linen was a destashing gift from my friend Julie!)
She formed the head out of more poly-fil inside an old baby sock.
I sewed a tube of organic cotton knit "skin"
(from A Child's Dream Come True)
and then she fitted the head inside and sewed it onto the body.
With her blessing, I made invisible stitches around the neck,
then reinforced with more invisible stitches on all her seams.
(We were backing each other up - we discussed the importance of safety around babies!)
*I chose poly-fil because it was easier for her to stuff and pack tightly than the wool.*
~ copyright Rebecca T. Jones ~
Lela was present for the sewing of the face,
though I made the actual stitches.
She helped with eye and mouth placement,
and securing knots in the back of the head.
From her vision, I sewed a tiny gnome hat for her baby.
Lela gathered the sides to form arms and a puckered dress,
and went over her doll to look for any places that needed more attention.
Then I stitched on this tiny heart,
and she came back to oversee the blushing of cheeks.
~ copyright Rebecca T. Jones ~
I couldn't be more proud of her effort with her first doll!
And that it was a gift for her baby cousin......
I know she'll always remember this.
My doll is made from a pair of corduroy pants that belonged to me as a young child.
The heart is denim, made from the hemmed remnants of my Papa's jean overalls.
I thought it would be special to give my baby cousin something
made with the fabric from her great-grandfather and her cousin.
~ copyright Rebecca T. Jones ~
I am so pleased with how this simple baby turned out.
The corduroy is soft yet durable, and her body is like a warm little pillow.
As I was working on her, my mother and I kept passing her back and forth for snuggles.
I do believe she wants one of her very own.
~ copyright Rebecca T. Jones ~
The dolls were so satisfying to work on.
I need to make some more!
~carrie~
p.s. I just shared this post with Linda over at Natural Suburbia for her Creative Friday.
p.p.s. I also shared this with Nicole at Frontier Dreams for her Crafting On.
p.s. I just shared this post with Linda over at Natural Suburbia for her Creative Friday.
p.p.s. I also shared this with Nicole at Frontier Dreams for her Crafting On.
