Tuesday, February 28, 2012

~ in the studio: messenger bag and crochet toys ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first project to come out of my new studio 
is a messenger bag for me


I've been dissatisfied with having a purse that sits only on one shoulder, 
always feeling I need to keep a hand on it.
My friend Cookie mentioned how she felt a messenger bag simplified her life just a little,
so I decided I needed to give it a try, too! 


I haven't sewed in a while, 
and I'm so very, very pleased with how this purse turned out!
  


The print is IKEA GUNILLA in orange - it's decorator weight.
The body is the most special - a pair of so very soft wool dress slacks that belonged to my Grandaddy.






The only modifications I made to the tutorial 
were to flip the back pocket so they birds were showing,
a slightly longer strap, topstitched the flap
and some of my measurements were slightly smaller,
because I was working with the legs of a pair of pants. 


Inside I have a generous amount of space for my wallet and planner.
There's a little pocket that fits my phone perfectly, too.



The whole thing is reversible, 
and I'm kicking myself for not putting a little embroidered bird on the reverse side of the flap.
Maybe I can fashion an iron-on patch......



So stinkin' happy with it! 
I interfaced it as well, so it stands up on its own - a necessary attribute in a purse, I say!

Rounding out this week's craftiness: amigurumi critters!
You can find my Ravelry notes on my page - just check my sidebar to the right!

Well, this sad little monkey was my first attempt at "amiguroni", as my girls say.
I learned that I need to go down a couple hook sizes to get the tension I want.


My second attempt was this alligator for Livvy.
Allie the Alligator turned out nicely using worsted wool and an E hook.



For Lela's birthday, I made her this lion that she'd been eyeing in our booklet.
He's adorable! 
Worsted acrylic body - you can find more details on my Ravelry page.


He doesn't photograph well, but I promise he has the sweetest little face!



~ carrie ~