Tuesday, August 16, 2011

~ what rhythm? bedtime ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Once again, I'm joining Nicole from Frontier Dreams 
to share a little bit about the rhythm in our home.

Last week, I believe I had what is called a 'pity party'
regarding our rhythm/lack of rhythm as viewed by my perfectionist-yet-anxious side.

So this week, I really looked at the details of our life
for the places where we have rituals that have slowly become rhythm.

Today, I'm sharing a little bit of our bedtime rhythm
which has slowly emerged into something beautiful and peaceful.
And since I don't have any pictures of bedtime now, 
I'm sharing a few pictures of the girls when they were small.
Enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bedtime usually starts as we finish supper.
The girls take their plates to the counter,
and play a little, inside or out, depending on the weather and season.
During the Autumn and Winter, it is front of the fire.
During the Spring and Summer, they may be outside.

~ who gives bathtub crayons to a not-yet-2-year-old? ~

We start bedtime as I begin singing
Moon, Moon, Moon by Laurie Berkner.
We all make our way upstairs, more or less.
Sometimes they are pleasant and peaceful during this transition,
sometimes they are dragging their feet (literally) 
and looking for an excuse to stay downstairs.
"Where's my kitty?" 
"I forgot to water the plants!"
"Just one more firefly, please."


~ 2-year old lela ~

They undress and put their clothes (which are almost certainly dirty) in the hamper,
and take their turns going to the bathroom.
Depending on their level of dirtiness, they may take a bath or shower.
(If they need one, bedtime starts earlier.)


Then we play "The Toothbrush Game"
where I say "I'm thinking of a number better 1 and 5, what's your guess?"
and whoever guesses it correctly, brushes their teeth.
The bathroom is small and a little cramped, so it's not feasible to have all three at the sink at once.


~ liv and laurel (7 months) and lela (2 years)

Then they all go into the bedroom they share
where I have (usually) laid out their pajamas.
Sometimes it is so hot that they sleep naked, though.

If they didn't take a bath, I will give them each a sponge bath at this point.
I will finish with a little round of toe games.

We do This Little Pig Went to Market, 
our own version:

This little pig went to market,
this little pig stayed home,
this little pig had tofu,
and this little pig had none.
And this little pig.....
he cried.....
weeeweeeweeeweee, all the way home. (I run my fingers up their leg)

We also do this one:

This little pig had a rub-a-dub.
This little pig had a scrub-a-scrub.
This little pig-a-wig ran upstairs,
and this little pig-a-wig called out 'bears!"
Down came the jar with a loud slim-slam,
and this little pig had all the jam.


~ liv and laurel ~

~ liv, laurel, lela and daddy reading ~

Then Daddy (weekdays) or Momma (weekends and days where Daddy works late)
will read to them, snuggled between Laurel and Liv.
They start off the night (ahem) sleeping crossways in a full-sized bed.
Where they wake up is anyone's guess......

We read them a story - we have 5 or 6 books that they can choose from.
And then turn off the lights and lie back down with them. 

~ often, daddy or momma falls asleep with the girls ~

If I'm putting them to sleep, I will sing Kumbaya, very slowly,
while massaging and tickling their backs in turns.
If they're having trouble sleeping, I sing more verses.
Or if they're really having trouble, before I sing I will tell them about their day.




If Daddy is putting them to sleep,
he usually sings some Grateful Dead song,
and lies back down with them and falls asleep....I come and wake him up. :D


~ nursing livvy to sleep, while laurel sucks her fingers and twirls my hair ~

It wasn't always this way.
When Lela was a tiny baby, I nursed her to sleep, then settled her in the crib,
where she remained until she woke up and came into our bed.
Then she moved to our bed exclusively.

When her twin sisters came along, 
it wasn't practical for me to nurse her to sleep anymore.
I would nurse the two of them until they fell asleep,
and read or sing to Lela until she feel asleep,
curled up by my head on the pillows, and twirling my hair.

This continued until she was 4 and the little ones were 2, 
when they didn't just drift off into a milky dreamland.
So over the course of a few months, I nightweaned them,
and in a few more months, we had transitioned them to their own room,
just a few steps away from our room.

They go to sleep in there, but by 1am, at least one (usually Olivia) is in our bed.
Lela often follows in an hour or so, at which point our queen bed is very crowded,
and Mike or I flee the bed of kicking feet and flailing arms to the guest room.
We need to work on this part of the day (errr, night) so that everyone gets enough rest.


And.....sometimes when they were little,
bedtime was a walk around the block, 
with me looking like this.........


~ for you babywearing folks, a gypsymama and a kozy ~

~ carrie ~

3 comments:

karen said...

what a sweet bed time rhythm:) I love tha picture of all three girls being read to by their dad, adorable:)

Megan said...

now that's a load!

Unknown said...

holy moly! that's a lot of cute photos! what a strong mama you are carrying 3!! you're kids are so lucky! xo m.

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting.....I appreciate everyone who comes by here, whether you leave a comment or not.

If you do write a note or ask a question, I'll respond here. Thanks!

~carrie~