~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I *could* have made breakfast,
but she wanted to be the one to peel, rinse, cut, plate and season the eggs.
It's Friday, we're feeling relaxed and I did want to finish my last cup of coffee.
I say that I *could* have made breakfast,
because in the last couple years, there have been days (lots and lots) where I felt too overwhelmed for that.
Bad days......
depressed days.......
full-or-partial-panic-attack-every-few-hours days.
I don't feel this is the appropriate place to share details
- believe me, if you could see the draft posts! -
but I feel fake sharing the joyful and creative pursuits of our family,
far fewer than I would like for a good reason,
without acknowledging the main narrative of our family: my mental health.
Set to music, this ballad is always playing in the background.
Sometimes it's blaring in stereo, up to eleven.
But thankfully I'm able to keep my hand on the dial now.
And thankfully I have my partner, family and friends listening as well.
So even though today the 6 year old made breakfast,
complete with a peppermint stick,
I feel proud to say,
"Hey, I could have done that."
~carrie~
