Sunday, June 19, 2011

~ a rare find ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The weekend we went to Virginia for my cousin's graduation,
I found a very special and rare treasure.


Saturday evening we were coming home late
from dropping off the girls' grandmother
and the Daddy heard a hummingbird 
give a little twitter and fly away.

"She must have a nest nearby," he said as we walked in the house.


The next day I went looking for her nest, 
and sure enough I found it,
only about 8 feet off the ground
in an oak tree right next the the porch.

Can you find it in the picture above?


It was so beautiful, so sweet,
made of bits of lichen and cobwebs.


For size reference, I am holding my phone.  
The inside circumference is the size of a quarter.



Ruby-throated hummingbirds 
(the only hummingbird to regularly visit east of the Mississippi River)
almost always lay two eggs.

"The twins," my dad calls them.


They were about the size of a cooked pinto bean,
and a beautiful creamy white.



My dad has been documenting their development daily,
and has given me permission to share his photographs.

Check back tomorrow for pictures of newly hatched hummers!
(They are now 12 days old!)

~carrie~

1 comment:

W-S Wanderings said...

Oh! Oh my goodness! While we have many hummingbird visitors, it has, strangely and a little sadly, never occured to me what their nests would look like. Tiny. Stunningly appointed. And those delicate eggs! I'm so glad you did the cell phone as a size reference. You know what? I have chills. SO powerful.

And the darling little one, looking up,up,up, with a face of delight. Fabulous!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting.....I appreciate everyone who comes by here, whether you leave a comment or not.

If you do write a note or ask a question, I'll respond here. Thanks!

~carrie~