~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterday I shared pictures of the hummingbird nest
we found on our trip to Virginia.
These eggs are the size of cooked pinto beans.
Today I'm sharing pictures that my dad took
on their first 3 days out of their eggs,
where they had spent the previous 18 days.
Remember that the inside circumference of the nest is about the size of a quarter.
Hatching Day!
See the eggshell still in their nest?
Whew, they must have been cramped in there,
and I'll bet their glad to have some wiggle room.
Whew, they must have been cramped in there,
and I'll bet their glad to have some wiggle room.
In this first one, they are about the size of a small butterbean!
(photo courtesy of Richard T. Jones)
two days old!
(photo courtesy of Richard T. Jones)
three days old!
(photo courtesy of Richard T. Jones)
Isn't it amazing how quickly they have grown in just three short days?
The mother ruby-throated hummingbird feeds them regurgitated nectar and insects.
The daddy hummingbird, unlike many other bird species, is not involved whatsoever.
Tomorrow I'll share a few more pictures of the baby hummingbirds,
until I catch up to them in 'real-time.'
Today they are 13 days old.
~carrie~


1 comment:
wow! that is the coolest thing ever!
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting.....I appreciate everyone who comes by here, whether you leave a comment or not.
If you do write a note or ask a question, I'll respond here. Thanks!
~carrie~