~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterday we met with a few friends
at our local, favorite nature preserve
for more 70-degree F fun!
We tromped through the open forest
to visit a nearby beaver lodge.
Longtime playmates have finally become friends.
The kids were not ready to end the adventure,
so they took off around the shoreline,
which has grown considerably in the last few years,
from creek to extension of the lake.
Little did we realize
that we would actually get to see
the beaver dam itself!
It was so beautiful, curving around to contain the water.
We found a 4x4 post that the beavers had utilized.
I believe it used to hold a (now underwater) wood duck nesting box.
Also, we found the mount that nature preserve staff
use to hold the motion-activated wildlife camera.
Tummies were rumbling, so we started back.
They snurkled under this fallen tree at the water's edge.
See the lodge?
And see this little girl? Laurel amazed me yesterday.
On the walk back, not only did she not want me to carry her,
she didn't want to hold my hand.
She didn't even want to walk where I had walked.
She wanted to make her own path.
For those who know Laurel, this is a 180-degree change!
Can you spy a fish?
After lunch, we took a short walk around this loop trail.
Laurel had more surprises for me.
After holding her hand while she walked a (tall) retention wall on the trail,
she ran back to the beginning,
and wanted to do it without any help.
I walked beside her, because it is a 5-foot tall wall over pavement!
Look at Laurel go!
I couldn't believe it.
Until this moment, she would have wanted me to carry her.
Would never have dared to attempt this without holding my hand,
even then nervous, whimpering and giggling at the same time.
After hopping down, she wanted to run ahead down the trail,
to catch up with her friends.
She would turn back occasionally,
to see if I was still there,
but kept running.
And I mean actually running, as evidenced above.
She hasn't ever really ran.
Even at 4 years old, she still toddles along.
Well, not anymore!
I had mixed feelings about this. Mostly, I am happy for Laurel.
She is well below 'average' weight and far below 'average' height.
A while back, she told me that she didn't like that everyone called her "little".
And it doesn't help that her twin sister Olivia is almost 4 inches taller, and 5 pounds heavier.
I know that it felt good for her to make her own way through the forest,
to walk that tall and scary wall independently, like all the other children,
and to run, RUN, down the trail like never before.
But seeing this new and completely different side of Laurel is a little sad for me too.
She is effectively the 'baby' of the family, despite being a twin.
And watching the last child go from being a toddler to a young child,
knowing our family is complete,
is very bittersweet for this momma.
But mostly, I'm happy for Laurel.
I could feel that her little big Spirit,
felt proud and strong today.
~carrie~

2 comments:
aww, i love laurel! such a big girl!
Lovely post. What tickled me pink about it was that your little girls were wearing Spring/Summer dresses with warmer clothes underneath - just like my girls. My girls insist on dressing this way. Too cute. We can't wait for Spring. What state are you from? We are in Pennsylvania.
I love you header, it is new right?
Namaste.
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting.....I appreciate everyone who comes by here, whether you leave a comment or not.
If you do write a note or ask a question, I'll respond here. Thanks!
~carrie~