Friday, February 15, 2013

~reassuring myself~

During my blogging hiatus,
we've taken a dip in the waters of Second Grade.
I worry a lot, *a lot* about our decisions to use the Waldorf approach,
especially since I consider myself somewhat of an academic.
But to be fair, I'd worry about anything.

In comparison to her schooled peers, my second grader is not spouting off times tables or reading Harry Potter.
But, as my friend put it, she knows the song of the nuthatch.
Still, I fret and peruse the websites for different workbook-type curricula for language and grammar, especially after my husband expressed his concerns that she might not be learning all she should.

But her end-of-year testing showed her to be right where she should be.
Upon reviewing her test, before sending it off for official grading,
my husband was dumbfounded.
"Did she really do this by herself?" he asked incredulously.
He stared at the little booklet, flipping between the sections and pointing.
"With no help from you?"
And then -
"Really? No help at all?"

"Well," he said after a long pause, "I have to say that I had no idea that she was capable of this. Obviously, what you've been doing is working."

If he's convinced, I guess I should give myself a little breathing room before I break out the flash cards and perhaps a little credit as well.

(Trying this blogging thing from my phone! I just found the idea of [putting pictures on my camera, choosing and lite-editing if necessary, then waiting for them to upload and then crafting text] to be daunting from a time perspective and consequently was not doing it. Perhaps this will be a solution?)