~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Early last week,
on an overcast, yet beautiful Spring-feeling day,
we made the short drive to Crowders Mountain State Park.
This visit, we decided to hike to Lake Trail.
It's an easy trail with good footing.
We paused to try out Lela's birthday gift from Gran and Pop:
a spotting scope!
We mounted it to my camera's tripod.
We spotted Canada geese and a male/female pair of mallard ducks.
We have also been using it for star- and Moon-gazing.
Great gift Gran and Pop!
After a few minutes watching the geese,
the girls were off down the trail.
While they threw gumballs and stones in the water,
I stuck red maple blossoms in these gumballs.
Spring has certainly arrived here!
We lingered beside a creek that fed the lake.
Laurel wanted to climb on her own.
My little girl is growing up too fast!
Liv and Lela enjoyed playing in a little section of this creek.
I loved how the wide pool all channeled
through the narrow gap between the rocks.
After a few minutes, we crossed the creek and plunged into the understory.
The girls rock-hopped through the creek,
exploring the edges of the bank.
Doing a little exploring of my own,
I was so very, very excited to find this!
These are trout lilies, also called the dog-tooth violet,
known scientifically as Erythronium americanum.
They are one of my favorite flowers,
and one that I hadn't seen since leaving Virginia.
I was so happy to be able to share them with my daughters!
The name most likely comes from their dappled leaves,
suggesting the beautiful speckles and spots of our native brook trout.
The beautiful deep-red anthers dangle towards the leaf litter,
while the pale yellow petals gracefully arch and curl back towards the sky.
At night, the petals close around the reproductive parts again.
Just pretend that this is an artfully out-of-focus shot! :)
It's times like these that I wish for a fancy camera,
instead of my little point-and-shoot.
These dainty little nodding beauties
are often referred to as 'spring ephemerals'.
Can't you just see a little faery dancing on their gorgeous foliage?
This shy trout lily peeps out from behind her leaves.
She hasn't even opened her flower yet.
Another trout lily, as seen from above.
Trout lilies grow in large colonies, spreading by offshoots as well as seeds.
Where you find one, you are likely to find many.
The plant takes about 5 years to mature,
and the colonies may be hundreds of years old,
maybe even over a thousand!
Here's a small section of the colony - it was huge!
Quizzical-looking trout lily showing his throat.
Pollen-covered anthers around the female pistil.
This particular individual had brighter petals.
I would probably still be sitting there,
surrounded by a sea of tiny yellow blossoms,
inspecting each petal,
each blurry-spotted leaf
and snapping mediocre pictures.
Thankfully for the rest of the family,
who were getting impatient,
(especially our Zelda)
my camera battery was running low.
We enjoyed a picnic lunch by the lake,
watching the very blustery wind create waves.
The girls found their first toad of the year,
and thoughtfully created a stick and leaf home for him.
Then they gleefully rolled down the hill of the dam.
I felt so grateful to walk in the forest that day,
to see a favorite tiny flower,
to enjoy my children,
to hold my man's hand and steal a kiss,
to be a witness to the new season.
~ carrie ~

2 comments:
What a beautiful park what lovely photos!
We have those flowers here in colorado also, I know of a certain spot at the edge of a path through the forest were there are a lot of them. We call them by one of their other names, Fawnlily. They bloom about the time that the deer are having their babies. They make me happy too!
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting.....I appreciate everyone who comes by here, whether you leave a comment or not.
If you do write a note or ask a question, I'll respond here. Thanks!
~carrie~